Honda Motor Company designed the lightweight low-friction "R-Series engines" for excellent fuel efficiency/MPG, low emissions, and long life. Found in 2006+ non-Si Civics (R18) and international Accords and CRVs (R20), the R-series cylinder head features an integrated exhaust manifold for maximum exhaust heat energy and "fast catalytic converter warmup". The downside to this cylinder head design is poor "All-Motor" Naturally-Aspirated power ... However, the upside of this design from a performance enthusiast perspective is it's perfect for a turbo kit: the increased heat energy which normally helps to warm up the cat faster - now helps spool the turbo faster (which is just fine by us turbo honda aficionados). These additional MPG technologies only help to make great power under boost.
Top 10 things that make the R18 perfect for boost:
- Ultra-lightweight but strong engine, and transmission, cyl head uses integrated manifold.
- Bore and Stroke are identical to the legendary GSR and ITR B18.
- The R18 uses a full one-piece main bearing girdle.
- "Long-rod" Forged Steel Connecting rods with rod BOLTS (not studs - easy to upgrade to ARP hardware).
- The R18 has a 10% reduction in friction from a special cylinder wall hone and moly-sulfide bead blast and ion treated piston rings. High durability and low friction.
- Pistons cooled by built-in oil jets (typically only found on high end honda motors). This is important for a turbocharged engine which has increased piston temperatures.
- Cylinder head design is an ultra efficient way to deliver high temp exh gasses immediately to a turbocharger.
- Easy to disable EGR using OE Honda components.
- The R20 is available for more displacement and power power. Any R18 guys looking for BIG power can do a bottom end swap to the R20 (or sleeve your R18 to 2.0L!).
- Hondata FlashPRO is available!! MAF based engine management makes tuning very accurate and simple for manual and automatic cars.
- Full-Race R18 EFR Turbo Manifold
- Full-Race R18 EFR 3" Downpipe
- Full-Race R18 Vertical Flow Intercooler and Bumper Beam
- Full-Race R18 Charge Piping, Couplers and Clamps
- Full-Race R18 Hardware Kit Box
Turbocharger is not included and must be purchased separately